- Biscuit joiner (Can be replaced by wood dowels and a power drill)
- Drill bits
- Paint Brush
- Wood Glue
- 1″ nails
- 1″x4″ boards (depending on your height needs)
- 4 2’x4′ peg boards
- White paint
- Quarter round (depending on your height needs)
- 4 Hinges
- 2 clasps
In this, my first DIY blog post, I’m going to show you how I covered up the unsightly water pump and pipes in my work room, and make the space usable.
When we bought our new house a few short months ago, my fiance was nice enough to deed me one of the rooms in the basement for a small detail-work workshop. The only problem was the large water pump and pipes in the corner. I couldn’t move them, and I couldn’t cover them permanently, so I choose to make two doors of peg boards to close off the space and make some storage. I started out with the most basic of drawing. The pipe area came out about 22 inches in both sides, so I choose to go with a 24 in wide sheet of peg board. You can see my initial design below. Like I said, very basic.
I designed the doors so that I only had to buy a couple of boards, and make a couple of cuts. I utilized 1″ by 4″ boards for the frame, and bought 4 ten foot sections and 2 eight foot sections. I also bought four sections of peg board, each being 2′ by 4′.
I framed out the door with the one by fours, utilizing glue and wood biskets. This allowed me to create nice clean joints without any screws showing. I then lined the inside of the door frames with quarter round all the way around each opening. These were attached by one inch nails, and a healthy supply of wood glue.
Note: My first mistake was that I designed this to utilize quarter round to hold the peg board in place. I should have utilize a router, which would have made the panels sturdier and easier to build.
Replacement Method: Instead of using wood biskets, you can replace them with wood dowels. This allows you to use a hand drill instead of a special tool.
Once the frame was dry I glued the peg boards into the frame with another liberal amount of wood glue. After another short drying period, I painted the frames white with some left over paint from another project. I also utilized four casters from an old tool box that doesn’t need them.
Note: These were cheap casters that do not roll exceptionally well. However, since these will be opened probably once a year or less, it didn’t really worry me.
I had bought two heavy duty door hinges for each frame. Originally I had planned on utilizing piano hinges, however the gate hinges were significantly cheaper, and heavy duty enough that they won out. The only problem is that they are twice as wide as a 1/2″ board, so I doubled it up. I measured our the appropriate distance form the corner and measured out vertical.
Note: I had half inch border along the floor, and instead of cutting it out, I added in spacers for the hinges so that I could open the doors flush to the wall.
Let me know if you have any questions. So far this project has helped me out incredibly to get organized until I have my tool bench and cabinets built. (Future Project)